Photograph of Armstrong/Garrison School

KSCOLL_PH_Garrison_01.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Photograph of Armstrong/Garrison School

Subject

Schools--Kansas City, Kansas
USD 500
Schools--Architecture

Description

Black and white photo of Armstrong School, front elevation. The Armstrong school was constructed in 1873 as a two-story, two-room brick building. The school and grounds lay north of the Union Pacific tracks in the Armstrong settlement. In 1926 African American students from the Garrison School in the Armstrong attendance area were reassigned to the old Armstrong School, and the name then became Garrison School. In 1956 the building was demolished to make way for the Kansas Turnpike. It was used for a time as a practice building in fire fighting by Kansas City Fire Department. The cornerstone of the old building was placed at the Wyandotte Historical Museum.

Creator

Bill Radford

Source

Kansas Room Special Collections

Publisher

Kansas City, Kansas Public Library

Date

1929

Format

JPG

Language

eng

Type

Gelatin silver print

Identifier

KSCOLl_PH_Garrison_01

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin silver print

Physical Dimensions

8 x 10 in