Photograph of Bancroft School

KSCOLL_PH_Bancroft_03.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Photograph of Bancroft School

Subject

Schools--Kansas City, Kansas
USD 500
Schools--Architecture

Description

Black and white photograph of exterior of Bancroft School in Kansas City, Kansas. Bancroft School at Sixth and Splitlog was named, as was the custom in the years around the turn of the century, for a well-known writer and diplomat, George Bancroft, who is remembered chiefly for his History of the United States. In 1902 S. J. Davidson was awarded the contract for the four-room brick building and a four-room addition was built in 1904. Splitlog was not open between Fifth and Sixth, and the Board had to petition to have the city open it. Architect was W. W. Rose and address listed as 516 Splitlog Ave.

By 1947 enrollment had declined and pupils were designated to go to Riverview School or Central School. The grounds would be used by the Building and Grounds Department.

Creator

unknown

Source

Kansas Room Special Collections

Publisher

Kansas City, Kansas Public Library

Date

ca. 1910

Identifier

KSCOLL_PH_Bancroft_03