Photograph of Abbot School

KSCOLL_PH_Abbot_01.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Photograph of Abbot School

Subject

Schools--Kansas City, Kansas
USD 500
Schools--Architecture

Description

Black and white photo of Abbot School (originally called London Heights School). Located at the corner of 15th and Troup Ave., Abbot school was constructed in 1889 and began as a two-room schoolhouse.

Early accounts of the school mention the lack of central heat and sewage facilities, as well as the bench with the water pail and dipper. Dr. Walter Pearson, one of the early Principals, is remembered as having a drum beat to help the children march into the building. The first Principal was a Mr. Frank Colvin. In 1893, when there was no money to pay teachers, pupils were assessed one dollar a month tuition.

In 1903 a six-room addition was built and the school's name was changed to Abbot for A. Jacob Abbott, a minister, educator, writer of children's stories and textbooks. The expanded school served eight grades in twelve rooms.

In 1972 Abbot school closed and students were reassigned to Douglass Elementary.

Creator

Bill Radford

Source

Kansas Room Special Collections

Publisher

Kansas City, Kansas Public Library

Date

1929

Format

JPG

Language

eng

Type

Gelatin silver print

Identifier

KSCOLL_PH_Abbot_01

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin silver print

Physical Dimensions

8 x 10 in.