Photograph of Bruce/Lincoln School

KSCOLL_PH_Lincoln_02.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Photograph of Bruce/Lincoln School

Subject

Schools--Kansas City, Kansas
USD 500
Schools--Architecture

Description

Black and white photo of the Bruce (later known as Lincoln) School. Constructed in 1888, the building was located at the southwest corner at 24th and Strong Avenue. This school was first named Bruce school, and later, when Argentine was annexed in 1910, the name was changed to Lincoln. The first principal was John Smith, and the first faculty was Lena Brown, Ethel Stafford and W. D. Holmes. During the school's early years, high school pupils attended classes in two rooms upstairs until the completion of the new Argentine high school building in 1908. This elementary school was the Lincoln School aka Bruce School prior to 1910oldest building in the public school system when retired from service by the Board of Education in June 1961. It was replaced with the completion of the new Emerson school and the addition made to Stanley School.

Creator

Bill Radford

Source

Kansas Room Special Collections

Publisher

Kansas City, Kansas Public Library

Date

1929

Format

JPG

Language

eng

Type

Gelatin silver print

Identifier

KSCOLL_PH_Lincoln_01

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin silver print

Physical Dimensions

8 x 10 in.